Democratic Underground Latest Greatest Lobby Journals Search Options Help Login
Google

Boston Globe: Democrats Adopt Rhetoric of ‘Occupy’ Movement

Printer-friendly format Printer-friendly format
Printer-friendly format Email this thread to a friend
Printer-friendly format Bookmark this thread
This topic is archived.
Home » Discuss » General Discussion Donate to DU
 
Hissyspit Donating Member (1000+ posts) Send PM | Profile | Ignore Wed Nov-23-11 06:23 AM
Original message
Boston Globe: Democrats Adopt Rhetoric of ‘Occupy’ Movement
http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nation/2011/11/23/democrats-congress-adopting-rhetoric-occupy-movement/M3pzu1H7aQlj4NwQKhJKVM/story.html

Democrats adopt rhetoric of ‘occupy’ movement

Street protests provide fuel for some lawmakers


By Bobby Caina Calvan |  GLOBE STAFF     NOVEMBER 23, 2011

‘Ninety- nine percent of the people are 100 percent fed up,’ Edward J. Markey said last month.

WASHINGTON - When US Representative Edward J. Markey of Massachusetts sought to illustrate the divide between average citizens and the oil industry recently, his words echoed from the ragtag protests on Wall Street.

“These companies aren’t just the 1 percent of America, they are the 1 percent plus, making billions off the backs of Americans,’’ Markey declared in a news release.

Harry Reid also adopted the words of the Occupy Wall Street movement, when he railed on the Senate floor against “millionaires and billionaires’’ who get richer while the rest of America stagnates. “This 1 percent now makes more than the other 99 percent combined,’’ said Reid, the Senate majority leader, while promoting a White House jobs bill.

MORE

Printer Friendly | Permalink |  | Top
Owlet Donating Member (765 posts) Send PM | Profile | Ignore Wed Nov-23-11 06:54 AM
Response to Original message
1. Headline should have read
"Democratic Congressmen Adopt the Rhetoric of 'occupy' movement". It would be real news if Democratic Congressmen adopted the program of OWS.

Still, words sometimes lead to actions.

Sometimes.

Well, once in a while.
Printer Friendly | Permalink |  | Top
 
DU AdBot (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view 
this author's profile Click to add 
this author to your buddy list Click to add 
this author to your Ignore list Thu May 23rd 2024, 01:52 PM
Response to Original message
Advertisements [?]
 Top

Home » Discuss » General Discussion Donate to DU

Powered by DCForum+ Version 1.1 Copyright 1997-2002 DCScripts.com
Software has been extensively modified by the DU administrators


Important Notices: By participating on this discussion board, visitors agree to abide by the rules outlined on our Rules page. Messages posted on the Democratic Underground Discussion Forums are the opinions of the individuals who post them, and do not necessarily represent the opinions of Democratic Underground, LLC.

Home  |  Discussion Forums  |  Journals |  Store  |  Donate

About DU  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy

Got a message for Democratic Underground? Click here to send us a message.

© 2001 - 2011 Democratic Underground, LLC